Drip irrigation is the application of water to the soil through drip emitters.
Drip irrigation system has the highest water efficiency compared to other irrigation systems.
Drip system has many advantages which include:
- Weed growth is reduced as only a small part of the ground is watered.
- Water losses through evaporation is low because the watered area is small
- Water with high salts can be used in drip irrigation because all salts are leached out of the root zone due to frequent water application.
- The water is available to the plant at low soil tension hence faster crop growth, high yields and better quality.
- Due to controlled water and fertiliser application the system is more environmentally and health friendly.
- Fertiliser losses are also reduced